Thursday, April 7, 2011

1/100 MG GP-02a Physalis Part 1

Getting a Head of Myself

I first saw the GP-02a Physalis when I bought the Gundam Wing series on VHS of so many years ago before I had access to a DVD player.  As I watched the previews for 0083 Star Dust Memories on the VHS tapes because I was too lazy to fast forward through them, I saw for the first time the ugliest mech I think I'd ever laid eyes on at that point.  It was bulky beyond belief, it's lower legs were completely disproportionate to the rest of it's body, save those horrid looking pods hanging off the arms.  I just thought the whole design was flawed.

I remember, too, sifting through pictures of Gunpla on websites like HLJ and ehobbyland trying to learn all I could about the hobby I was just getting into and I ran across the Physalis as an old 1/144 kit and again as a Master Grade while searching.  The design looked even uglier in plastic form!  Then I saw that the pods at least flipped up and were used as the Gundams mode of propulsion, but still, it just looked wierd.

When the Gundam Wing series had given way to the Universal Century time line and I watched the OVAs I finally started to appreciate the design of the Physalis.  I learned it was bulky because it was a powerhouse!  It was heavily armored and the massive shield was used as a cooling system to handle its raw power.  And why was this Mobile Suit made to be a such an armored beast?

TO NUKE THE CRAP OUT OF THE ZEONS OF COURSE!

Luckily!  Gato kicks ass and stole the Physalis and nuked the Feddie Scum fleet instead.  The Physalis, once seen in action, was now a really cool machine in my eyes.  So when a friend of mine said he had a MG Physalis for sale, I snatched it up along with three others he had which I will get to eventually.

Work begins with the head:

Photobucket

All of the parts.  For whatever reason the older MG Gundam kits came with two V-fins... not sure why.

Photobucket

Very carefully, I painted the edges of the eyes with a dark gray Gundam Marker.

Photobucket

Not too shabby, eh?

Photobucket

Next the part of the faceplate behind the eyes is painted in silver.

Photobucket

Like so.

Photobucket

Ooooo!  Shiney!

Photobucket

Clear green for the eyes.

Photobucket

There we go.

Photobucket

The rear camera is given a similar treatment.

Photobucket

Not sure if I'll use this one, I'd have to paint the center piece and I kinda don't feel like it.

Photobucket

I assembled the head and added some Gundam Marker Grey to the inside of the yellow vents on the sides of the head.

Photobucket

I don't know why, I just felt that the small indented section here at the back of the head needed to be grey, so there it is.

Photobucket

Panel lined, I'll need to clean it up a bit.

Photobucket

And that's all for the Physalis this time around.  More on him later.

Until Next Time:  Happy Building!

No comments:

Post a Comment