Sunday, December 6, 2009

Updating this week: EDITED Dec. 07th

I'll be starting the next stage of my modeling progress tomorrow: the sanding! I'll be sanding in my down time pretty much all week...

For my most recent 1/144 scale models I've been using a sanding technique that was featured in a hobby magazine about two years ago that involves sanding all surfaces of a model in progressively higher grits up to 600 or so, but that's it. Aside from details like eyes or plastic molded in the wrong color, no other painting is done.

This process leaves the plastic with a much less out of box look than just snapping the model together. I like the look of sanded plastic, it gives a bit of texture that you can't get from painting. The thing of it is, though, is that it takes a really long time to do. You can't just run the sand paper over the parts a few times, it takes hours. Air brushing, once you get the hang of it, is very quick work for basic jobs, even shading can be done in a few seconds on a part after the airbrush is set up. The hardest part about painting to me is the waiting between coats to allow proper drying.

After the G 30th HG Gundam, I'll be building a 1/144 Wing Gundam... again... This will be my 3rd or 4th build of it.

Also, on the 21st, I'll be finishing up my Hyaku Shiki with decals and details. Next year's first model will be the Special Edition Musha Gundam, the fancy one with the stand. I'm going to attempt to paint the weapons and the gun to look like real wood, much the same way gamerabaenre did with his custom paint job on his Musha Gundam. Thanks for the vids on that by the way!

See you all tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment